For more than a century, Lansing, Michigan-based Auto-Owners Insurance Company has been in the insurance business. Thousands of independent agents work with the company, which has offices in 26 states. Auto-Owners Insurance, despite its name, offers a wide range of insurance coverage.
Customers frequently give JD Power’s auto insurance products high marks, while their home, life, and business insurance products are all well rated by the company’s customers.
Auto-Owners Insurance Ratings
- Claims satisfaction (J.D. Power) — Exceptional: J.D. Power gave the company an exceptional rating in 2020 for overall claim satisfaction.
- Customer satisfaction (J.D. Power) — Auto-owners’ customers gave an above-average score for overall satisfaction in the J.D. Power 2021 research.
- Financial strength — With an A+ grade, AM Best indicates that the company is financially healthy and able to cover claims.
- NAIC Rating — The National Association of Insurance Commissioners received less complaints about Auto-Owners Insurance than the industry average.
Auto-Owners car insurance options
The company’s status as one of the finest vehicle insurance providers in terms of customer satisfaction means that customers can expect a wide choice of coverage options and an easy claims procedure from Auto-Owners. The company offers standard insurance plans like:
- uninsured/underinsured motorist
- medical payments
- personal injury protection (PIP).
Policyholders can, however, pick from an array of extra coverages offered by the company to further tailor their protection, as shown below.
For example, if you lock your keys in your car or have flat tires or have a dead battery, Auto-Owners’ 24-hour roadside assistance will help you. It includes all fifty of the United States as well as the Canadian provinces and territories.
If you become stranded away from home, this coverage kicks in to help pay the cost of a rental automobile or other related expenses. Expenses such as food and lodging are possible.
A leased car is frequently worth less than the outstanding sum due to depreciation. When you have gap coverage, it pays out if your car’s value drops below the amount you still owe on it.
After an accident, your car’s market value may be considerably diminished. In the case of a total loss, this insurance policy ensures that you will be fully compensated for the value of your automobile.
Personal automobile plus package
In addition to identity theft protection, this plan covers the cost of replacing lost or stolen keys, as well as your cell phone.
Specialty auto insurance options at Auto-Owners
Automobiles may not always belong in the same category. There are a number of automobile types for which Auto-Owners Insurance has specific coverage:
- Classic cars. Automobiles from the past require different insurance coverage than those from the present. It’s possible that a vintage car insurance policy may save you money while yet providing the security you need for your historic vehicle.
- Modified vehicles. Insurance companies may be reluctant to cover vehicles that have undergone modifications. Auto-Owners Insurance provides tailored coverage options, whether you’re installing a wheelchair lift or another type of mobility modification.
Auto-Owners car insurance discounts
In order to save money on your vehicle insurance coverage, Auto-Owners Insurance offers a number of different options. The discounts they offer are summarized in the table below.
- Multi-policy discount: Auto-Owners offers discounts on insurance when purchased as a package.
- Life multi-policy discount: Save money by combining your vehicle insurance with a Vehicle-Owners life insurance policy.
- Payment history. In order to be eligible for a premium reduction, you must have paid your premiums on time every month for the previous 36 months without missing a payment.
- Paid-in-full discount. Pay your annual premium in full at the beginning of your coverage to save money.
- Green discount. You may qualify for a discount if you go paperless with your bills and make payments online.
- Advance quote. A discount is available to every new applicant who requests an insurance quote before the policy goes into force.
- Multi-car. Increasing the number of automobiles you insure might result in lower insurance premiums.
- Safety feature discounts. You may be eligible for a discount if your vehicle has anti-lock braking systems (ABS) or anti-theft devices.
- Deductibles. If you choose a higher deductible, you may see a reduction on your premiums.
- Favorable loss history. If you have a clean driving record, you may save a lot of money on car insurance.
Auto-Owners student discounts
It’s possible that insuring young drivers will lead to higher monthly premiums. For clients with teenage or young adult drivers, Auto-Owners Insurance offers the following discounts: You may learn more about student auto insurance by visiting this website.
- Good student discount. Students with a “B” average or better may be eligible for a 20 percent discount.
- Student away at school discount. You may be eligible for a discount if your student lives more than 100 miles away from home and does not have access to a vehicle.
- Teen driver monitoring discount. You may start saving money right away by installing a GPS system in your teen’s car.
Is Auto-Owners Insurance right for you?
Most Auto-Owners insurance clients are pleased with their insurance coverage. In no way do I believe this means I recommend them. For those looking for the best deal on an insurance policy, shopping around for better rates may be an option.
Looking for new insurance coverage is never a terrible idea. Look at coverage options and carrier reviews, and remember that you may get free insurance quotes to aid in your quest for the ideal policy.
You may check out our review of Arrowhead General Insurance Review.