As a multi-line insurance company specializing in car and home insurance, Mercury Car Insurance has its corporate headquarters in Los Angeles. George Joseph, a seasoned insurance executive, created Mercury Insurance in 1961. It didn’t take long after leaving California for the company to expand into another 10 states: Arizonian Nevadas Florida’s Georgia’s Illinois Texas Oklahoma’s Virginia’s New Jersey and New York.
Mercury Insurance review for 2021
- Claims satisfaction (J.D. Power) — Poor. J.D. Power’s 2020 Claims Satisfaction Study gave Mercury a below-average rating.
- Customer satisfaction (J.D. Power) — It’s bad. J.D. Power rates Mercury’s overall customer satisfaction as being below average for the year 2021.
- Financial strength — Superior. This AM Best rating shows that Mercury has excellent financial health and can be relied upon to pay insurance claims on time.
- NAIC Rating — Above average. Mercury had less complaints than the industry average in 2020, according to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Mercury car insurance coverage options
When it comes to auto insurance, Mercury offers the usual suspects like comprehensive and collision coverage as well as liability, medical payments, personal injury protection (PIP), and under/uninsured/uninsured motorist coverage. Various other insurance options are explained in further detail lower down the page.
Rental car coverage
Auto insurance policy riders that cover the cost of a rental car while your vehicle is being repaired as a consequence of a covered accident are becoming increasingly common. For a maximum of 30 days, coverage has daily limits ranging from $30 to $100 a day.
This policy gives drivers and passengers additional security if you work for a ridesharing company like Uber or Lyft. If you work as a rideshare driver, getting rideshare insurance is a no-brainer because your personal auto insurance policy does not cover business driving.
Mercury insurance discounts and reward programs
There are several frequent discounts offered by Mercury, so it’s always a good idea to see whether you qualify before purchasing. Keep in mind that regional variations may exist in the availability of these discounts.
Discounts based on your policy
- Multi-policy. Save up to 15 percent when you bundle your Mercury insurance policies, such as your auto and house policies.
Discounts based on the driver or vehicle
- Multi-car. To get a multi-car discount, you’ll need to insure more than one vehicle.
- Good driver. You may be eligible for a good driver discount on your Mercury insurance policy if you have an accident-free driving record.
- Good student. A minimum 3.0 GPA in high school or college qualifies you for the student discount.
- Occupational. It’s possible you’re entitled to a discount because of your place of employment.
- Autopay. If you set up automatic payments, your rate will go down.
- E-signature. If you sign your Mercury paperwork electronically, you may be eligible for a discount.
- Anti-theft feature. There is a reduction available if your car has anti-theft features or equipment.
- RealDrive® program. Save five percent on your first payment when you join this program. Mileage reports to Mercury are used to calculate your rate.
Mercury car insurance mobile app
Customer accounts and policies may be managed using the Mercury mobile app (available for Apple and Android). Mercury’s smartphone app, like that of many other insurance companies, allows customers to
- Access digital insurance ID cards
- Pay bills
- Summon roadside assistance
- Get in contact with an agent or customer service
Is Mercury car insurance right for you?
A regular vehicle insurance coverage from Mercury Insurance may be sufficient if you don’t want anything extra. When compared to other insurance companies’ auto insurance discounts, Mercury’s is highly competitive.
However, is Mercury’s vehicle insurance competitively priced and at an affordable cost?
Given that auto insurers look at a wide range of factors when determining insurance rates, it’s essential to compare quotes whenever it’s time to renew.
Visit our review of Liberty Mutual Car Insurance Review for another insurance review.