In 1923, Liberty Mutual founded Safeco Car Insurance in Seattle, Washington as a subsidiary. Throughout the years, the company’s insurance products have expanded to encompass many lines of insurance with a focus on price and comprehensive coverage. Safeco offers a wide range of auto insurance plans, each with a different level of coverage and a number of ways to save money. To save money, the company also encourages customers to combine their home and auto insurance plans.
Customers of Liberty Mutual may be certain that the company will honor claims because of its backing. While JD Power’s customer satisfaction rankings for Safeco are lower, it’s possible that some customers will be put off by this information. When it comes to home and auto insurance, the company offers a good selection of plans at reasonable prices. Check out our coverage options, discounts, and claims satisfaction summary to see whether Safeco is a suitable fit for your new insurance policy.
Safeco Car Insurance Ratings
Drivers may take advantage of a number of benefits and insurance options from Safeco. Overall, the company’s coverage options and savings are commendable; nevertheless, consumer complaints and satisfaction are inconsistent. If you’re interested in learning more about Safeco car insurance, continue reading our review.
- Claims satisfaction (J.D. Power) — The J.D. Power Claims Satisfaction Study, released in 2020, awarded Safeco a mediocre score.
- Customer satisfaction (J.D. Power) — Customers of Safeco were generally satisfied, according to a J.D. Power poll conducted in 2021.
- Financial strength — Safeco’s AM Best-monitored financial health demonstrates that it can pay claims.
- NAIC rating — The number of complaints filed against Safeco by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) in 2019 was above normal.
Safeco Pros and Cons
- Deal-seekers in search of discounts.
- Passenger drivers that do it for the money (in certain states)
- Those looking for a combined policy for their home and car
- People who want to get the best customer service and claims experience available
- People who decline to bundle their coverage
- People only interested in basic coverage
Safeco Insurance bundling options
When it comes to insurance, Safeco Insurance offers a wide range of options, many of which are offered as bundles. In the company’s own words, it’s the “Safeco Package” from Safeco. Saving money and making tracking your coverage easier may both be achieved with this method. When you combine home, car, boat, and RV insurance with Safeco, you’ll save 15%. Additionally, if your house and auto insurance policies are combined and both are damaged in the same incident, you may just have to pay a single deductible.
Safeco car insurance coverage options
Safeco offers a wide range of optional plans and coverages that may be added to your auto insurance in addition to the regular accident, personal injury, and other coverages.
- Accident forgiveness. It’s possible to qualify for accident forgiveness after a specific number of years of being accident-free. In California, this is against the law.
- Diminishing deductible. Decrease your deductible by $100 each year when you renew your insurance with Safeco’s declining deductible program, often called a disappearing deductible. This reward is only available if you have had no claims filed against you throughout the whole duration of your insurance. Unfortunately, it’s an option that isn’t available in every state.
- Loan/lease gap coverage. After a total loss, Safeco covers the difference between the vehicle’s value and the remaining loan or lease debt if your car is still being paid off. Gap insurance is another name for this.
- First aid reimbursement. All vehicle insurance policies offer $10,000 in first-aid reimbursement coverage if you are in an accident.
- Roadside assistance. Safeco will cover the cost of towing if your car breaks down and you’re stranded, including flat tires, locked keys, and dead batteries.
- Emergency assistance. If you’re involved in an accident more than 25 miles from your home, your insurance coverage may be increased if there’s a crisis. In the event of personal property damage, additional help is offered up to $500 in the form of reimbursement for expenses, food, lodging, and transportation.
- Rental car reimbursement. When your car is out of commission while being repaired following an accident, Safeco, a popular add-on to many car insurance plans, will assist cover the cost of a rental car. Anyone who has a drivable car following a claim may take advantage of a rental car valet driver who will transport their damaged vehicle to a repair shop and then deliver them to their home or place of business in a rental car..
- New car replacement. If your brand-new car is stolen or totaled, Safeco will cover the value of a comparable used car. You may find out more about this perk by visiting this page.
- Pet coverage. If you need help paying for vet expenses, Safeco offers pet injury and death coverage.
- Personal property auto insurance coverage. You’ll be reimbursed if any of your personal belongings are stolen or damaged in an incident.
- Electronic key and lock replacement. If your keys are lost or stolen, Safeco will waive your deductible and send you new electronic ones.
- AV and custom equipment coverage. This plan covers your audio, visual, and custom equipment, including stereos and performance-enhancing or customized parts, in addition to the original factory equipment.
- Safeco rideshare coverage. In Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oregon, Tennessee, Utah, Washington and Wisconsin, this is an add-on for rideshare drivers that may be selected as an option. Other states are expected to follow suit in the near future. According to the Safeco website, this coverage will cost you $10 a month.
Safeco insurance discounts and reward programs
Even if your premiums are already high, you should constantly seek out and implement reductions offered by each insurance carrier. Safeco’s available discounts aren’t too shabby. You can qualify for several of them.
Insurance discounts based on your policy
- Multi-policy: Get a 15 percent savings by combining your vehicle and home insurance policies.
- Pay in full: You’ll get discounts if you pay your premium in full at the time of purchase or renewal.
Discounts based on your driving profile or vehicle
- Multi-car. Insuring several vehicles on the same policy might help you save money on car insurance.
- Homeowners. You may be eligible for savings if you own a home.
- Accident prevention course. A discount in insurance rates for the following three years may be available to those who are over 55 and have completed an authorized accident prevention course.
- Low-mileage. Drivers who travel fewer than 8,000 miles per year can save 20% on their expenditures (Not available in Alaska and California).
- Anti-theft device. You may be eligible for insurance reductions if your car is equipped with a theft-deterrent device.
- Anti-lock brakes. A discount may be available to you if your vehicle is equipped with a four-wheel anti-lock braking system from the factory (ABS).
Discounts for young drivers with Safeco
- Good student. To be eligible for a student discount, be sure you’re doing well in school.
- Driver training. Teenagers may save money on their auto insurance by taking a state-approved driving education course.
- Distant student. Your child may be eligible for a discount on car insurance if they live more than 100 miles from home and their vehicle is uninsured.
- Newly independent. Your teenager may be eligible for a discount on their new Safeco policy if they switch to their own Safeco insurance after being covered by an existing Safeco policy (usually their parents).
- New teen. You will save 27% on your teen’s insurance after becoming a Safeco insured for a year.
- Tenure. You may be eligible for this discount if you’ve been a Safeco customer for more than two years and have recently added your teenager to your insurance policy.
Safeco’s RightTrack telemetry service is available for customers. Your driving habits are tracked for a period of three months by the firm, which helps determine your insurance rates. Despite the ambiguity around how much you’ll save, the company’s website states that drivers who follow safe driving behaviors may expect to save anywhere from 5% to 30% on their insurance premiums, depending on their particular driving habits and those of others.
How to cancel Safeco Insurance
Terminate your Safeco Insurance coverage by contacting your local Safeco agent or representative at 1-800-332-3226. Your agent or representative has the power to cancel your insurance policy at any time. They can also let you know if you have to pay cancellation fees or if you’re entitled for a premium refund if you have to cancel your reservation. Be sure to finalize a new insurance policy before terminating your existing coverage.
It’s important to remember the following while canceling your Safeco insurance:
- Give us your insurance number and any other information we need to help you.
- Request the cancellation of the contract as well as any recurring payments.
- Follow-up inquiries should be answered in an open and honest manner.
- Require the sending of a confirmation email.
Can I cancel Safeco Insurance in the middle of my policy term?
Yes. When Safeco insurance is no longer required, it can be cancelled. Safeco allows you to terminate your coverage at any point throughout the policy duration, unlike other insurance companies that want you to wait until the end of your term to do so. In spite of this, it’s critical that you have a backup policy in place before canceling your existing one. Before you go your separate ways, start comparing insurance prices with Safeco to avoid hikes in your premiums. In the case of car insurance, this might mean avoiding a fine from your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles.
Safeco online features
Safeco’s website is easy to use and clear of unnecessary clutter. Additionally, it offers the ability to pay bills and access policy documents online, as well as the ability to add drivers to a policy and manage claims.
Safeco Mobile is the company’s mobile app. It is lauded for being simple to use and effective. Customers may use this app to check their insurance coverage, pay their premiums, handle claims, view their policy documents, and get the contact information for their Safeco insurance agent. This list of app features might help you learn more about it.
- The app makes it simple to call Safeco Roadside Assistance.
- You may use the app to document the damage and follow the progress of your claim using photographs.
- Discover repair shops, book a mechanic’s appointment, and reserve a rental car.
- Find out how much the repairs will cost and how your vehicle is doing.
Not all states have access to the app that the corporation has created in addition to its RightTrack® telematics service.