Individuals who qualify for auto and house insurance with USAA Insurance Company receive exceptional service and low premiums.
See what we had to say about USAA Insurance in the table below.
USAA Pros and Cons
- Numerous coverage and benefit choices
- Premiums that are affordable
- Limited eligibility
Who is eligible for USAA coverage?
Generally, active-duty and retired military people, as well as select family members, can join USAA as members and be covered by their insurance policies. Due to its exclusivity, USAA is one of the top-rated insurance companies since it can concentrate solely on a limited group of customers. Users may get insurance and save money by becoming a member of USAA after which they will be eligible for many member benefits and savings.
USAA membership is free and offers a wide range of advantages. USAA insurance eligibility can be confirmed by calling 800-531-USAA (8722), or by reviewing the breakdown of eligibility below.
Who can join USAA?
To be eligible for USAA membership and insurance, you must be an active, retired, or separated veteran (with an Honorable discharge from the U.S. military). Military veterans, including active-duty service members and veterans of the reserves, are eligible to apply.
It is also possible for pre-commissioned officers such as officer candidates and contractual midshipmen enrolled in the USSA, prep school, or ROTC program to take part.
USAA membership is open to the following family members:
- USAA members’ widows, widowers, and unremarried ex-spouses
- Children of USAA members
- Step-children of USAA members
USAA car insurance ratings
Customers and claimants consistently rate USAA as one of the best insurance companies. Here at USAA, we’ll look at our customer reviews, pricing data, and policy alternatives to see if we can help you save money on car insurance.
- Claims satisfaction — Excellent. Recent J.D. Power research found USAA to be one of the most customer-satisfied insurance companies.
- Customer satisfaction — Excellent. According to J.D. Power, USAA has a high customer satisfaction rating for auto insurance.
- Financial strength — USAA’s “Superior” financial strength grade from AM Best illustrates the company’s ability to meet its claim payment obligations.
- NAIC Rating — Excellent. The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) received relatively few customer complaints regarding USAA automobile insurance in contrast to the industry median.
Where is USAA car insurance available?
Every state, as well as the District of Columbia, has USAA as an option.
USAA auto insurance coverage options
Liability, uninsured motorist, collision, and comprehensive coverage are all available via USAA. In the table below, you’ll see standard USAA pricing as well as some of the company’s more unique coverage choices and add-ons.
USAA extended benefits
In the event of an accident, this insurance coverage will pay out for lost wages, disability aid, and death benefits.
USAA roadside assistance
Lockout help, gas delivery, tire replacements and towing are all included in this additional insurance.
Depending on your coverage level decision, this is a tiered policy that reimburses you for rental automobile expenses. Depending on your level of coverage, if your car is damaged due to a covered loss that does not include routine maintenance, you can use this coverage for a given amount of time and up to a defined value.
If you are a USAA client and remain accident-free for five years, your rate will not rise following your first at-fault accident. Visit this page to learn more about how accident forgiveness works.
Uber and Lyft drivers are covered by USAA’s insurance program. A monthly fee of only $6 is required for ridesharing coverage, according to the company’s website. This insurance, however, isn’t available in all states.
USAA membership auto insurance benefits
USAA’s membership privileges are a valuable bonus. Having a USAA membership has a number of benefits when it comes to driving.
USAA membership benefits: car loans
USAA assists its members in three ways when it comes to auto loans:
- Loan flexibility. Up to 84 months of monthly payments on new cars can be saved.
- Waived application fee
- Affordable rates. You may save money on your USAA car loan by using the Car Buying Service offered by USAA, which is described in more detail below.
Besides these benefits, USAA helps members terminate lease contracts on leased automobiles and offers special financing for disabled vehicles.
USAA car buying service
USAA’s automobile purchasing service assists members in the following ways:
- Discounted prices. A certified dealer offers the automobile at a reduced price and waives dealer fees as well as making other concessions.
- Dealership comparison. To get the best value, USAA members may shop around and compare the prices of similar models from tens of thousands of dealers.
- Price comparison. The price difference between members of USAA and non-members of the same brand/model is shown by USAA.
USAA bonus cash offers
As an upfront discount, USAA collaborates with automakers. Depending on the company, USAA members can save thousands of dollars on new automobiles acquired via USAA. The following savings are being promoted:
- Up to $1,000 off Jeep
- Up to $1,000 off Dodge
- Up to $1,000 off RAM
- Up to $4,500 off Mercedes-Benz
- Up to $1,000 off BMW
USAA car buying tools
Having discovered your dream car, USAA’s membership services can help you set a realistic budget.
- Auto loan calculator
- Monthly cost breakdown calculator
USAA insurance discounts
Members of USAA are entitled to a number of discounts. A number of notable features may be found in this collection.
Discounts for safe driving
- Safe driver discount. Drivers who have been accident-free for at least five years can benefit from this strategy.
- Defensive driving. Drivers who have completed a defensive driving course successfully are eligible for this discount.
- Driver training. Young drivers (under the age of 21) may qualify for a discount if they have completed a basic driving education course.
- Good student. Students who obtain a GPA greater than 3.0 are eligible for a discount.
- New vehicle. Vehicles under three years old are eligible for this discount.
- Multi-vehicle. Only applicable to policies covering two or more cars.
- Annual mileage. Your mileage may entitle you to a discount on your insurance.
- Vehicle storage. You may be eligible for a premium reduction of up to 60% if you have your car in storage.
- Family members discount. If your parents were USAA members, you will receive a 10% discount on your personal USAA insurance.
- Length of membership savings. USAA promotes that you may save money by being a customer by delivering competitive insurance prices.
- Military installation discount. If you park your vehicle on a military post, you may save 15% on comprehensive coverage.
USAA car insurance cost vs. Competitors
- USAA. $106
- GEICO. $94
- Progressive. $104
- State Farm. $108
- National Avg. $124
USAA bundling options
When you combine your car insurance with your homeowners or renters insurance, you’ll often get a discount for having several policies. Supplemental insurance alternatives are available to USAA members.
Consider some of the most popular choices below.
- Pet insurance
- Boat and watercraft
- Off Road vehicles and ATVs
- Classic car insurance
- Farm and ranch
- Small Business
How to cancel a USAA policy
Call 1-800-531-8722 to request cancellation of your USAA insurance. A written request for cancellation can also be sent to the address below:
San Antonio, USAA can be found at 9800 Fredericksburg Rd.
Should You Buy USAA Car Insurance?
For these reasons, USAA is a great option for many active-duty service members and veterans, as well as their families. The company’s online experience, however, is one of its few drawbacks.
Compare Insurance Providers
- Auto-Owners Insurance Review
- National General Car Insurance Review
- Chubb Auto Insurance Review
- American National Auto Insurance Review
- Loya Car Insurance Review
- Sentry Car Insurance Review
- Progressive Car Insurance Review
- Amica Mutual Insurance Company Review
- Kentucky Farm Bureau Car Insurance Review
- Elephant Car Insurance Review